Made these for my co-worker Dummy aka Melissa for her Birthday!
Recipe Adapted from http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/
For the Scones
1/3 cup sugar
zest of two medium oranges
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 large egg
For the Glaze
3 tablespoons unsalted butter; melted
1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine sugar
and orange zest;
mix with your fingertips until the sugar is moistened and fragrant.
Add in the flour,
and mix until combined.
3. Grate butter
into flour mixture
on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream
5. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture
will come together.
6. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick.
Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles;
place on prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and prepare the glaze.
7. In a medium bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing together the melted butter,
and orange juice.
Whisk until smooth.
Dip the top of the scones into the glaze
and allow the glaze to harden.
At this point, you can leave them as is or go for the double dip. I glazed my scones twice.
Notes: scones store well in an airtight container for up to two days.