So my friend James LOVES Minestrone soup. So one night I decided to make it so I could invite him over and then I decided to invite our friends Karen and Allan over as well. So here you go!
Got the recipe from The Pioneer woman from here
2 cans Red Kidney Beans, Rinsed
I also added spinach, about a cup
- 2 whole Zucchini, Halved, Cut Into Strips, Then Cubed
- 2 whole Summer Squash, Halved, Cut Into Strips, Then Cubed
- 8 ounces, weight White Mushrooms, Stems Removed And Quartered
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt To Taste
- 2 Tablespoons (additional) Olive Oil
- 2 whole Carrots, Pealed And Sliced
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
- 3 stalks Celery, small chop (leaves too)
- 8 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 cans Cannelini Beans, Rinsed
- 2 cans Red Kidney Beans, Rinsed
- 1 cup (heaping) Cut Green Beans, Fresh Or Frozen
- 1-1/2 cup Medium Or Small Pasta Shells, Uncooked
- 1 can (28oz) Diced Tomatoes With Juice
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- Parmesan Cheese, Shaved
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.
- Toss cubed zucchini, squash, and mushrooms in a bowl with olive oil and a sprinkling of kosher salt.
- Arrange onto two sheet pans (so there is no over crowding) and roast in the hot oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until brown and black parts begin to show. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a heavy pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onions, and celery and stir to cook for 3 minutes. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add cannelini beans then add kidney beans and green beans. Cook on low for five minutes. Add pasta and cook for an additional five minutes. Add canned tomatoes, stir, and cook for an additional five minutes on low heat. Check for seasonings, adding salt, pepper
- Add roasted vegetables at the very end.
- I also added spinach, about a cup
- Stir and allow to simmer and heat for a few minutes before serving.
- Be sure to check seasoning! Add more broth if necessary to increase liquid amount.
- Serve with Parmesan shavings