I got the recipe from here
This salad is different, but good! I have never had fennel until this salad. The flavors in this salad go really well together. The fennel has like a licorice flavor (which I don’t like that flavor) but it goes really well with the grapefruit and caramelized onion and dressing. At first I didn’t know if I would like this salad. But as I took each bite, I liked it more and more. It’s light and fresh and delicious!
2 onions, very thinly sliced (I used 3 onions as I LOVE caramelized onions and I eat them as I cook them, so I did 3 so there would be some for the salad and not all the onions went into my mouth)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp honey
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pink grapefruits
1 head green leaf lettuce, thinly sliced or torn into 1-inch pieces
1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 small english cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
3 scallions, finely sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool, about 10 minutes.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until all the ingredients are coated. Arrange the caramelized onions on top and serve.
- Caramelized onions:
- olive oil
- 2 onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, thinly sliced or torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small English cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- For the caramelized onions: In a large skillet, coat the pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onions, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool, about 10 minutes.
- For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, lemon juice and honey.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil until blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- For the salad: Peel and trim the ends from each grapefruit.
- Using a paring knife, cut along the membrane on both sides of each segment. Free the segments and add them to a large salad bowl.
- Add the lettuce, fennel, cucumber, scallions, and thyme.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until all the ingredients are coated. Arrange the caramelized onions on top and serve.